That monster!

So, just when I was at the point ( again) of tuning my pipes, the chanter reed started squealing big time and every time on low G and D. Ugh! So, in went a new reed, easy enough. But this reed was a bit harder than the old one and that was my downfall and backsliding with my pipes progress.

It took me two weeks to get strong enough to play that reed. No about of licking and squeezing was helping much.  I am now also making sure that I have at least two reeds on the go so that I will have one ready at any time if the other goes squealy.

The win for today was: I played The Dark Isle on the pipes. Very nice 🙂 To my biased ears anyway :P.

The Dark Isle

Here is my first best recording of it so far. I recorded it on my mobile phone so it sounds a bit tinny.  At least I managed to slow it down to recognizable speed 🙂

Below is my second recording. Does it sound like hard work? OK, it sounds workmanlike,  but there are improvements.

Improving Paddy’s Leather Breeches

My main focus for this week is to improve my technique and speed with this tune. It’s improving, for sure!

My practise session still consists of mostly bagpipe and tunes I’m relatively confident with, plus focusing on Paddy’s until my lips go sore.

I’m noticing improvement.

Still here and still practising

OK, it’s been a long time between posts. Call it laziness. As for my practise regime, well that wasn’t too bad; of course it could have been better.

Status updated:

Can play three tunes from memory on the pipes as a medley. By the fourth tune, I start fizzling out. It is progress since I’ve never reached that point before.

The pipes are still not tuned and so I’m still just on two tenor drones because that bass is radically out there and seriously reduces listening pleasure… even to my ears.

With the tuning, it’s time to get out of the house and get in touch with a local pipe band to get that sorted. Although I will probably not join them as a band member just yet.

That’s all for now 🙂