So, I’ve had the pressure gauge attached for a while now. What I hate the most about it is that the tube is too short. I certainly can’t see the gauge when I’m playing. It should be long enough to attach it to a wall so that it is within line of sight.
The strike in’s were terrible today. I got 4/10 for those. I don’t know what I was doing wrong this time.
Achievement for today: minimal. I played the pipes for 30 minutes. But just as it became easier and nicer sounding, my own endurance gave way. I persevered long enough to fizzle out after the first bar of Loch Rannoch. No pain no gain. I will have to push myself to the end every day; this will be the only way for me to increase endurance. Tomorrow’s another day.
Striking up the pipes was very much hit and miss for me, until recently. I can now get 9/10 success rate 🙂
I used to think that the strike up was about pressing the right hand ( if you are a right handed piper) against the bag while keeping the left lower arm steady and using is a kind of anvil which doesn’t move. Wrong! At least for me. The solution is to press both the right and and left lower arm into the bag at the same time. Simple.
Now back to warming up those pipes for tuning practice.
The next step is to tune the drone to the chanter, right? I dust off the Complete Pipers Handbook by Brett Tidswell. It instructs me to blow high A and listen to the wavering. I can’t hear it. FAIL.
I gave up on that and started reading some old Chanter publications produced by Bruce Campbell from the http://www.pipingschool.co.uk/ where I came upon an article about tuning pipes. I am instructed to play the pipes for an hour to warm them up before attempting to tune them. That is a big challenge for a beginner piper like myself! I will give it a try today though, as I simply have to learn to do it.
We shall see how it goes 🙂
PS: I still haven’t found a way to get my butt to an instructor to help me progress. In the past it was studies interfering with regular times for practice and now it’s work schedules that can be unpredictable at times and I hate to have to perpetually cancel tutoring sessions.
Time, as is not surprising, has not been on my side this week. All I could do was to do all my practising on the pipes. There was no spare time for the practice chanter as well. The up-side of that is, that when I did get back in touch with the practice chanter, it was suddenly sooooo much easier for my fingers, as well as maintaining the correct timing.
I”m happy so far. The hardest part I have yet again to start from scratch: tuning the pipes. Uh, it’s Sunday already…maybe I can squeeze it in before I have to run about again and do other things.
Nevertheless, I am making progress. The real sticking point is tuning! If only I could get over that quickly, but I think not.
Well, I should have thought of this earlier, shouldn’t I. If the reed is too hard and licking and squeezing it doesn’t have much of an impact, then take one dental rubber band ( used for practice chanter reeds) and roll it onto the chanter reed, as high as necessary to the tip of the blade, and PRESTO the reed is finally playable!
This is now day two of using the rubber band and I was now able to take it off altogether. Will do the same for me backup reed.
So, it’s been a good two days of practising my tunes on the pipes. The next major challenge is the tuning process. Will do as much as I can, and then take it to the local pipe band to do the rest for me.
After that, I’ll be on my way to being a not to trashy piper for the next 6 to 12 months.
After struggling with two new reeds ( supposedly low pressure…!) I finally am managing to play complete tunes on them, although there are still some patches where I lose the battle with the reed to a greater or lesser extend.
Below are two of my first attempts at playing a complete tune with the new reed ( and my strengthened diaphragm).
Warning: I only have two tenor drones open at this stage and the setup is totally untuned. I’ll be returning to the tuning part of my education shortly… as soon as I have ordered another set of chanter reeds.
So, just when I was at the point ( again) of tuning my pipes, the chanter reed started squealing big time and every time on low G and D. Ugh! So, in went a new reed, easy enough. But this reed was a bit harder than the old one and that was my downfall and backsliding with my pipes progress.
It took me two weeks to get strong enough to play that reed. No about of licking and squeezing was helping much. I am now also making sure that I have at least two reeds on the go so that I will have one ready at any time if the other goes squealy.
The win for today was: I played The Dark Isle on the pipes. Very nice 🙂 To my biased ears anyway :P.
As planned, I stuck to my three memorized tunes and kept working on these specifically this week. I am also playing them deliberately slower to make sure I don’t end up with squashed notes and movements. It’s beginning to pay off: they are a lot easier to play on the pipes now!
Interestingly, it is the tunes that I have memorized (or know well enough to almost have them memorized) that do not cause me to run out of air on the pipes. Hm…
I am still without a specific goal or plan, though…. not good. Need to fix.